Friday, September 17, 2010

The little things in life...

Jake had carrots today for the first time and he loved them! Could not get enough. It is going to be so fun to see him experience all of the new tastes. Especially since he was unable to eat by mouth for so long.

I met with Bryn today, Jake's speech therapist. We spoke about him taking less by bottle and she saw first hand how when he was done... he was done and there was no getting him to try again. I am going to try to give him more breaks and see if that helps him. He seemed to have some tummy troubles today and was not great with any of his feeds. He grabs the bottle now and takes it out on his own for breaks and then puts it back in when he wants more. He usually takes about 40mls and then starts to lose interest. Bryn pointed out that it seems like he want's it but is tired and gets mad at himself because he want's to eat more.

Baby steps... he will get there. For now I am going to give it a few more days before we increase his feeds to 110ml during the day. I don't want to push his belly to much at once. He tolerated the increase to 100 really well.

Blessed...
I was putting baby food away tonight and started thinking about how it was not long ago that I was not sure if I would ever get to take Jake home let alone buy baby food for him. I remember going through his clothes when I was pregnant and wondering if he would ever wear them. I couldn't help but smile to myself as I was stacking the food because he has come so far!

I am so blessed to have Jake in my life. I can't imagine not ever knowing his smile or getting to have him be a part of my life. Thank you all for the continued prayers and support. I will continue to cherish every moment I have with my family. That is what life is about.

2 comments:

  1. I smiled at your "Blessed" portion of this entry because as I look back through our blog a lot of my entries are all the same about feeling so blessed. I know to an outsider they have to be like - these ladies, they keep saying the same thing over and over. But when you're doing something like stacking baby food away that you thought was so out of reach around the time of the diagnosis, you can't help be feel blessed each and every time.

    Glad the little man is enjoying his baby food...as for the bottle feeding, he'll get there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading this post. I see every little thing so differently now. It amazes me how many times a day I do something new or see something and think...I didn't know if Hope would be able to experience this...I find myself crying many times. I continue to keep Jacob in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete