Sunday, February 27, 2011

A Tribute to Travis- Another angel taken too soon


My heart is heavy tonight as it has been for a week now. One of my fellow Heart Sisters had to say good-bye to her 15 month old little boy last Saturday. Any time a child is lost it is painful. Unfortunately in the CHD community we see this all to often. This unexpected loss was extremely painful because it was a child I have watched grow into a beautiful boy.

Travis Gary DiCarlo holds a very special place in my heart. When I learned about Jacob's heart defect I was lost. I was so full of fear and I refused to let hope in because I thought that I was going to lose my baby boy and I didn't want to give myself false hope. I refused to join support groups afraid to become a part of a world that I could not wrap my head around. All of that changed when I found Travis. I was researching HLHS praying to find a glimmer of hope like I did for hours upon hours every night. I came across the DiCarlo family blog www.teamtravis.info.

Travis had just been born the month before and was in the hospital recovering from his first open heart surgery. I remember studying his story trying to see exactly what we were about to face. It was scary but there was also hope. I saw a baby not just a terminally sick child but a baby who was recovering and fighting. I found hope. I remember fearing the post surgery pictures thinking how can I watch my baby go through this but Travis did get through it and he did get to go home. He had bumps in the road just like most hypoplasts but I remember getting strength from his parents words and for that I will always be grateful.

Showing love for Travis


His mother Nicole once told me that this world is so hard watching so many children pass away. Now it is her that I am watching grieve and grieving for. I wish I could take that pain away. We all know that our children are "Fragile" but you never expect it to be your child or a child that you are close to. I never met Travis but my life was touched by his. I am blessed to be able to know his mother and consider her not only a friend but a sister. I am blessed to have been able to watch him grow into such a beautiful little boy, to see his smile and hear his laugh.

Nicole and Roger are amazing parents. Even in their grief they did the most selfless act possible and donated his organs so that he may give life to another child in need. The family requests that those who loved Travis please consider organ donation, the greatest gift of life.

A Celebration of Life will be held on March 6, 2011.
Donations can be made to the family at teamtravis.info, HeartSisters.blogspot.com,
or the Children’s Heart Foundation

Fly high with the angels beautiful boy. You will never be forgotten.



Video by Mom2Lo

No comments:

Post a Comment