Wednesday, December 21, 2011

My little Rock Star...

As usual Jacob was a rock star and I couldn't be more proud of him. I don't have the results of the heart echo yet but Jacob did so well today that he didn't need to be sedated for his echo.

The day started off with Jake waking up in the hotel at 5am. I don't think he liked not being home in his own bed. We had to be at the hospital at 7:30. Luckily when we got there they took us right back. The nurse looked at me with wide eyes and asked about his breathing. I usually tell everyone right away that it is from his airway but sometimes I forget that it is not "Normal" because I am so used to it. Once I told her about his vocal cords and that it is his "Normal" she was very relieved. Most people hear his breathing and think that he is in respiratory distress. The look in their eyes is always pure fear. The anesthesiologist was nervous about sedating him because of his airway. He said that even though it is fine right now he could get into trouble with sedation and he recommended we at least try it without sedation which I was hoping for anyway. Sedation is always risky for hypoplasts but especially with Jacob's airway.

At first Jake was fussy but once the nurse put on Thomas the Tank Engine he was a happy camper. He fussed again when they needed to look at the arch (They have to do an ultrasound up by his neck). By then we were aloud to feed him so we bribed him with some food and he did great. I have to give the team at Cincinnati Children's props. They were great with him and we were out of there by 8:30am!  From now on I am going to insist we always try without sedation since he has done so well the past two times. We were home by 1pm. Both boys made me so proud and were so well behaved this trip (as always). I seriously have the best kids in the world.

Thank you everyone for all of the prayers. I will let you know when we get the results.


While at the hospital I dropped off a bunch of Sisters by Heart brochures for the them to give to new families facing this diagnosis. Sisters by Heart just celebrated its 1 year anniversary! We sent out 130 care packages in the past year. I am so proud to be a part of such an amazing group of women. I remember like it was yesterday how devastating the diagnosis is and how lost you feel. To be able to offer HOPE and SUPPORT to these families means so much to me.

If you haven't visited our site yet, please do.
www.sisters-by-heart.org

You can make a tax deductible donation by clicking here.
For only $35.00 You can ensure that a family somewhere in the United States receives practical items for the arrival of their medically fragile baby...and the incredible gift of HOPE. 


VOTE FOR A GREAT CAUSE

Last but not least I have a quick favor to ask. There is a great organization called Apps for children with special needs (A4cwsn) A4cwsn provides iPads to children with special needs. They are trying to win a grant which will allow them to get 10 iPads for children who need them. They need your votes!

A4cwsn is running a contest to get votes. If we get 10 votes on our behalf then we will be entered into a drawing to win an iPad for Jacob. They will announce the contest winner on Thursday so we have one more day to get 10 votes on our behalf.  It only takes a few minutes and we would really appreciate your vote. iPads have been proven to be an amazing tool with kids with communication issues and this grant would change the lives of 10 families who really need it.

HOW TO VOTE 
1.Click on this link:
http://sunsuperdreams.com.au/dream/view/ipads-for-special-needs-children
2. Click the vote button on the right. It will ask for your first name and email address.
3. They will send you an email to verify you are a real person voting. Just click the link in the email to verify that you voted. Keep the email because if we win we need to prove we had 10 votes on our behalf.

4. VERY IMPORTANT: Click the link below and post on A4cwsn's facebook page that you voted on behalf of Kathy Baker. This is how they will tally how many votes are on our behalf.
https://www.facebook.com/a4cwsn

I promise it only takes a minute to do. They are in second place right now so please vote. I hope that we can get A4cwsn enough votes to win this Grant. They are so good to so many people and they deserve it!

Merry Christmas to everyone! I will let you know when I get Jacob's echo results. Thank you again for all of the continued support for our amazing baby boy.


Photobucket

1 comment: